Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Uma Suma

Uma Suma.

In Kirundi Uma Suma means Thief. I was told by one of the other volunteers at WR to yell Uma Suma if someone bothered me or stole from me or attacked me etc…

Today Isaac and I were walking back from Lunch. I wanted to take Uprona ( A longer route, but a little safer), he wanted to take the short way, which meant past the market. I told him as long as we didn’t go down the street with the gangs on it, alright. Once we walked down a ways he wanted to cut across so we didn’t have to go through the market. We turned, and I said I didn’t think it was a good idea, it was the street with the gangs on it. This was the same street I was grabbed on on day 2. Not to mention, I had my purse on me, and there was money in there for my work Visa.

We were walking along and we noticed that were being followed. Isaac caught it and moved me to the opposite side of him, trying to keep the guys away. Suddenly one of them turned in front of him, bumped into him and picked his wallet. I turned around to find Isaac fighting with the two guys, holding one of them back, grabbing after each other. Isaac was calling out in French and grabbing after the guys. I was so confused when I turned around, seeing Isaac with his arm around those guys yelling.

At first I thought he was trying to break up a fight. Finally I realized he had been robbed. I started yelling “Uma Suma” as I had been told to do. Everyone stopped and just watched as Isaac fought for his money, and I called out Uma Suma, trying to get someone to help. Finally the thief threw Isaac’s wallet down by a car. He grabbed it and we continued on our way. It was surprising really. It all happened so quickly. I am not a fan of that street. Ah Burundi...

No comments: