Monday, September 1, 2008

To the village...which one I'm not sure....


So Burundi is a lot more expensive than I thought it would be. It is actually quite expensive here. Shocking really. I also think that its going to take me a lot longer to make friends than usual. Seth and Trina are awesome, but the others I have met are very indifferent and not very talkative with newcomers. I feel that maybe they dont want to meet new people because so many people are coming and going. However, I am here for 2 years. So that is kind of hard.

It is hot, very hot. I think that the dry season is the hottest, its hot and dry, very dusty. The rainy season will begin soon, and then everything from what I understand will be lush and green.

I went to a village on Friday with Seth and hung out with some kids. It was great, Seth showed me around. It was wonderful, just being with the kids, practicing French, Kirundi, and Jilli-anch. (which is my own version of French). It was a great day. I've posted some pictures below.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

dear wellcome in burundi
i am working also with kids and vulnerables
if you need any help

Unknown said...

www.marathondelapaix.org
www.kirundo.org
www.kaeoea.org
www.menya-media.org

Anonymous said...

You look beautiful! We miss you and look forward to time together in Kenya! Pray for us - we are driving into Nairobi tomorrow for the first time. Bob is driving. It is cold here at nights - we sleep with longjohns on and at least two heavy blankets! Know we are praying for you! Emily says " 'ello!"

Holly Maggio said...

aww girl miss you!!! So happy for you to be there. Friends will come. I know it! You're so fun how could they not love you! Miss you girly!

Unknown said...

Jillian...yes i glad its begining to work ou...i like how you are appreciating both worlds and knowing that its live-able afterall....i ahve noticed you are not only being knowlegable of the the new culture rather you are learning from a subjective point of view were you experience both verbal and non verbal behaviuor, the communication styles, habitual patterns relating to commmunication adn yes appreciating alternative construction of reality as itis in Burundi..am proud of you J.yes i am definately praying for you and knowing that He who sent you there will see you through it.
with lvoe from mineapolis