Friday, February 20, 2009

TIA This is Africa.

There's nothing like the wind and dirt in your face...covering your white Muzungu skin with a nice "natural" tone that I like to call, a "subtle layer of dirt." All the while the sun's effect on your skin is amplified due to the doxycycline you take every day in hopes of warding off Malaria. This experience can be yours if only you have the opportunity to ride atop a land cruiser for hours through the bush.

Diesel trunks. Land cruisers. C'est la vie dans Afrique. There's something so African about Driving a diesel trunk through the streets of Kigali, or riding on top of a land cruiser hunting the trail of an elephant while on Safari... Enough said.

Or there's the blessing of a good starch. Blessing, I use that word lightly. I am REAL tired of starches. Rice, Beans, Fries, Potatoes, Bread, Fried Potatoes, Rice, Bread, and pasta. Good Lord, starches are like a brick, a brick lying for days in your stomach. Too much information. I know.

Languages. This is not something that I have mastered, but definitely something I get a lot of practice doing. A lot of practice for me and a lot of laughs for the French speaking Americans who stood by and watched me stumble through my mix of English, French, Kirundi, and sadly Spanish. Yes, I put some Spanish in there... that was a sad sad moment for me. But I will endure and am determined to return to the states with as much language skill I can gather. Sawa Cyane. Did I mention Swahili?

Motos. Seriously. Riding motos through the streets of Kigali. One of my favorite things to do. I can get a moto ride for a mere 400 FB. I've got skills. There's nothing like helmet hair from a loose helmet that doesn't clasp and the wind up your skirt, exposing ones knee. Scandalous. Je Sais.

Bucket baths. I can do bucket baths. But when you're upcountry sifting sand and putting together water filters, a bucket bath fine, Sawa. So be it. But when there's no water and five of you standing around covered in a sandy mud. The hunt for water must begin. Amazing that we managed to "steal" (I use that word lightly because we were in a guest house) 5 bucket worth's of water from one of the downstairs bathrooms, only to find out that when we had finished attempting to clean with a empty water bottle that the water was back on. Not only was it back on, but it was hot and had a lot of pressure.

TIA. This is Africa.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jillian read your blog very nice, I was also in Burundi for three years in a row.

I was part of the UN peacekeeping mission, I am currently back in South Africa my home country, which i Love very much but sadly is going down the drain because of corrupt Politicians like tha ANC president Jacob Zuma.

Enjoy burundi, Kenya etc. and be safe.

P.S. My name is werner

Anonymous said...

Americans enjoy and understand sarcasm... I'm not quite sure all cultures embrace sarcasm as much as your blog does.
I too enjoyed the fine layer of dirt cast upon my skin and clothes. I like to think of it as a light bronze tan which I may choose to return from by simply stepping into that deliciously clean wash basin and, following a zesty fridged trickling shower, I can return to my normal wuzungu red headed whiteness.

Joshua